Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13399) Granary Not Working - FreeCiv 2.02 (Fedora

To: jasoltow@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13399) Granary Not Working - FreeCiv 2.02 (Fedora Core 4)
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 11:44:57 -0700

Peter Schaefer wrote:

> My brain seems to remember that the food box of civ1.0 was half full
> after having grown with a granary, although i suppose that concept
> doesn't make much sense if you think about the granary actually
> halving food loss .. if this is true, the actual bonus of the granary
> was more.. I was never aware of the difference :-P

Hmm.  According to the documentation:

The amount of stored food will be set to half full whenever a city\
 with a Granary shrinks or grows. This helps a city to grow faster\
 and more easily withstand famine.\

so maybe it is supposed to be half of the "new" amount.  In that case
the code patch I provided will still apply but the pcity->size++ line
needs to be moved up.

There is a bug in that the amount of saved food is currently capped at
the old granary size.  Because of the MIN line if you have 75% granary
savings when your city grows from size 1 to 2 you'll go from 20/20 to
20/30 food instead of from 20/20 to 22/30.  Or maybe this isn't a
bug...in which case the new code is buggy.

I guess this code shouldn't be changed for 2.0.  For 2.1 however we
should allow carryover I'd imagine, or even switch entirely to the new
system...

-jason