Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13468) Aifill problems in pregame screen

To: mstefek@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13468) Aifill problems in pregame screen
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 11:06:06 -0700

Raimar Falke wrote:

>>Conclusion: is-info is very bug-prone and should not be used unless
>>there is a demonstrable gain from doing so.
>
> Another conclusion could be to pay more attention to the packets.def
> file. I.e. only let people change the code who know what they are
> doing.

But *nobody* knows all of the interrelations between data, and it's not
documented anywhere.

>>However in all cases it is better if possible to remove the spurious
>>send_xxx calls from the server entirely.
>
> That is hard. Certain fields may have changed. Yes you can track this
> and only call send_xxx when you are sure it is required. But I think
> the is-info solution is friendlier here.

Sure.  But some of the worst cases can be fixed.  In the past there was
a bug where tile info for every tile on the map was sent out 2x in a row
when you had apollo's.  Now we fixed it and it's only sent out once.
However most of these sends are still unnecessary since the data is
duplicated and that's where is-info is useful.  But I don't know how
useful since the client handles these multiple sends pretty well now
(duplicates aren't redrawn anymore).

-jason