Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#13296) Some reasons to keep voting.

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#13296) Some reasons to keep voting.
From: "Thomas Müller" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 14:06:20 -0700

I've seen, that there will be some changes in the way voting works. I agree,
that in pregame, we dont really need voting, but i think its very important
later in the game.

I dont like the idea, that one user is a hoster and has more rights than
others in the game. Its fine in pregame, you can see what he does there, and
leave if you dont like it, but it would be very anoying to play 3 hours of
freeciv, and then the "hoster" starts runnig amok and makes all kind of
stupid settings. Maybe he's loosing, maybe there was a fight, there could be
many reasons why somebody might do that.

I like the idea of voting very much, and i think it shouldn't be necessary
very often, but there are some cases, you need voting.

1. AI-toggle.. well, this should be changed, someone should be able to
ai-toggle him self, I know there is away, but when i want to leave, /away is
not enough.

2. Timeout
Well, its often very hard to find a timeout, that everyone can live with, but
it has to be done somehow. As the speed of the game changes, the time you
need will change too. You cant always tell, when the need for more time will
come, so its not enough to use the dynamic timeout. The only way to do this,
is by voting, imho http://bugs.freeciv.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=12604 would
solve this quite good, no more suprise votes, and simple majority.

Most other settings dont need to be voted, but timeout is very important, it
can ruin a game, when timeout is set to a bad value. And i'm afraid it would
ruin the gaming-experience, when only one user is allowed to chang timeout
during the game, without anyone being able to do anything about it.

Thomas