Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13220) Science tab color should indicate urgency

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13220) Science tab color should indicate urgency
From: "Daniel Speyer" <dspeyer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 14:09:32 -0700

On 6/6/05, Jason Short <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Daniel Speyer wrote:
> >
> > I like the new tab interface for reports in the gtk2 client, but one
> > thing bugs me: the science report turns red every time there is an
> > advance.  It seems to me that red should indicate something that
> > requires my immidiate attention, which the discovery of an
> > intermidiate tech on the way to my goal does not.
> >
> > Here is a patch to turn the tab red only if you have no goal or have
> > completed your goal (ie scientists don't know what to researtch next),
> > and turns it blue if you've just made a stop on the way.  I've tested
> > it in every case I could think of and it worked fine.
>
> Great, except that you have it backwards.  Blue is the "alert" color
> that means it needs immediate attention (though if you want to reverse
> this in the alert() and present() functions that might be okay; the
> current color scheme is taken from xchat).
>
> -jason

I noticed that the API in gui_stuff seemed to be named backwards, but
is it actually used that way?  It seemed to me that the messages tab
(the only other thing I noticed using blue) used blue for minor
messages and red for major.  Have I been ignoring important messages
when I play?  Most things I've noticed only use red (and black), but I
figured that was because most things that want attention want it
urgently.

A color scheme that makes blue more urgent than red is a severe
violation of the rule of least surprise.