Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] freeciv new release

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] freeciv new release
From: "Rick Laferriere" <rick23@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 11:43:19 -0400

Hello-

I downloaded you new version of Freeciv the other day, and i was excited to play Civ I for the first time in 10 years.

After 3 days, I gave up and removed freeciv from my computer.

I believe the game is way too hard for novice players.  I had built up a nice little empire, complete with about 15 cities, a strong infrastructure, a lot of gold, and a republic government.  I had no civil disorder, good production, and barracks in all my cities.

I was promptly invaded by the Bosnians, I tried all I could to fight them, and lost 31 conecutive battles.  31 in a row.  This with veteran units, catapults vs. horsemen, and plenty of odds in my favor.  It seemed as though once the game had a city on my soil, it became a factory of military units.  I couldn't build equivalent units with 15 cities going all military and sinking gold into buying units.

I'll cross my fingers that i can find the original Civ and enjoy that on my computer.  I appreciate your effort, but unfortunately, it's just not enjoyable to play for novice players who haven't got the experience yet.  Sid Meier's original version had clearly seperate levels of expertise, and you could succeed in the lower levels frist before moving on.  Your game does now allow that, and I am not going to read message boards on how to beat the game in novice mode.  That's plain silly.

Thought the feedback would help... good luck.

Rick Laferriere
rick23@xxxxxxxxxxxx