Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13198) Changin Tech when goal is changed

To: lists@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13198) Changin Tech when goal is changed
From: "Jason Dorje Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 16:33:40 -0700

Thomas Müller wrote:

> When you set Goal to X and research  is X, ther finish research on X and 10
> bulbs are left over, yo get:
>
>>Researching: None
>>Goal: None
>>Bulbs 10
>
> If you switch to Research B now, you get 10 Bulbs for B, thats good.
> If you set Goal to C, you get:
>
>>Researching: None
>>Goal: C
>>Bulbs 10
>
> And next turn, you get
>
>>Researching: D
>>Goal: C
>>Bulbs 50
>
> Where D is a needed for C, and you research 50 Bulbs a turn. The 10 Bulbs are
> lost. Its a bug, i could fix it, but i think it would be better, to change
> the Research immideatly when you change the goal, and have "None" has current
> researcht. This way, you would know, what you research next. If there is
> already something you're researching, and goal changes, the current research
> should be unchanged of course.
>
> I wrote a patch to achieve it, its my first patch, i hope i dont break
> anything, it works with current cvs for me.

The patch looks like it does what it says it does.  However I don't
think this is a sufficient fix.  Because if the player doesn't set a
goal then at the end of the turn the server will pick a tech for him to
research.  And this probably also causes the bulbs to be lost.  So I
think the bug needs to be fixed "at the source".

-jason