Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13009) Island-based generator

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#13009) Island-based generator
From: Thomas Müller <lists@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 09:43:51 +0200

Am Montag, 9. Mai 2005 05:54 schrieb Jason Short:

> > [lists@xxxxxxxxxxx - Sun May 08 22:44:46 2005]:
> >
> > Hi.. i played lots of freeciv games with islandbased generator now,
> > and i
> > think a very important factor to win is to find a second island. The
> > problem
> > is, that sometimes you just have to go round your ilsand and find a
> > new
> > island, because there is only 1 ocean tile between them, then its
> > quite easy
> > to expand fast.
> > Sometimes you have to go with your trireme one square to the open see
> > and back
> > to find a new island, because they are 2 tiles apart, which is some
> > more
> > work.
> >
> > It only gets messy, if you cant find a new island at all with triremes
> > without
> > risking to loose them, and then you have a big disandvantage towards
> > the
> > other players.
> >
> > Since islandbased generator says "fair but boring" i think something
> > should be
> > done about it..
> >
> > Any ideas? Interest? I could look at the code myself, it you agree
> > with me.
>
> In general I agree.  However I don't really see how to implement this
> because the determination of fairness is too fuzzy.  If you can come up
> with exact criteria for fairness maybe we can do something.
>
> An additional problem is correcting fairness issues is a problem.
> Generally we don't want to restart mapgen from scratch in this case.
> But the alternative is editing the map in-place which has the potential
> to do harm as well as good.
>
> It's possible the design for civworld changes will help this situation
> as well.  At some point in the future it should be possible to /generate
> a map, then have an impartial observer look at it, edit it if desired,
> and either approve it or /generate again.
>
> -jason

Ok, there are some things one could do:
1. Make an optio, so that only N islands are created for N players. This will
change the gameplay, since you dont have to conquer as much as possible in
the early game and can focus on your own island more. I'd guess i would
prefer that solution, and it would be easy to code (maybe only changin one
line), the question is, where to put the option. Maybe its best to make a new
generator, there are 15 Topologies, so more than 3 generators wouldn't be too
bad.

2. There are ways to make the map fairer without regenerating it from scratch,
just move the islands around. I think i could come up with some Pseudo-code
to do that, but somebody has to implement it in C++, so if you're interested,
just tell me.

Bye,
Thomas

--
Stockflecken in einem Kleidungsstück? Einfach Tomatensoße
darübergießen, und weg sind sie.