Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12977) RfP: put autosettler 'enemies' and 'territo

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12977) RfP: put autosettler 'enemies' and 'territory' values on the stack
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 12:34:57 -0700

Brian Dunstan wrote:

> OK this patch gets rid of a lot of the assign code,
> consolodates the settlermap information into one
> array, and uses the movemap to see if autosettlers are
> in danger.  The previous assign code did not consider
> the danger from far-away enemy units travelling by
> road or rail.  Hopefully using the movemap will fix
> this.

I don't like too much the idea of using the omniscient movemap for
settler units.

I also think that there will be cases where with rails and enemy units
there will be _no_ tile that is safe to work on.  I notice the AI has an
obnoxious habit of sending their partisans streaming along railroads
past all my well-defended cities to attack some undefended worker units.
 While this is annoying (and a bad strategy for the AI, since it loses
those indefensible partisans the next turn), I don't think the solution
is to refuse to work any tile - the autoworker will then just sit there
on a vulnerable tile rather than going to a vulnerable tile to work it.

-jason