Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12927) RFC: rename pplayer->player_no

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12927) RFC: rename pplayer->player_no
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 18:11:18 -0700

Benoit Hudson wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 01:21:15PM -0700, Jason Short wrote:
>
>>Aside from the insane hugeness such a patch might take, does anyone
>>object to this?  One possible argument you could make is that they
>>should all be called "id".
>
> I vote for 'id' ; I don't care about player_no.  I don't think it's
> really worth it but it's a very simple insane hugeness since presumably
> that's the only place where player_no is used.

Hmm.  After looking at the places where this is used (in the patch) I
think (more strongly) that index and id are appropriate to name
separately.  In many places the index value is used as a lookup into a
(global or local) array.  There are lots of small arrays indexed by
player#, tile#, etc.  This makes more sense using 'index' as the name
and the separation makes it clear you cannot do this with units and cities.

I still don't care that much.  However if it's pplayer->id then all the
other index/id values (gov, impr, tile, unittype, tech) should be id as
well.

-jason