Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#12905) RFC: normalizing the effects of happiness build

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#12905) RFC: normalizing the effects of happiness buildings
From: "(Eddie Anderson)" <saywhat@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 20:27:48 -0700

    I imagine that this has been discussed before but I don't know
where.  So I'll bring it up now because it relates to the other RFC
that I just posted.

    What does everyone think about normalizing the effects of the
happiness modifier produced by happiness buildings (Temples,
Colosseums, Cathedrals)?  As it is now, a Temple can change:

1) an angry citizen to an unhappy one

  or

2) an unhappy citizen to a contented one

  but *not*

3) a contented citizen into a happy one.

    In contrast, 2 luxuries will perform *any* of those 3 changes.
So will the effects of Hanging Gardens.  And, IIRC, so will a
courthouse in a Democracy.

    Besides being inconsistent, this difference produces counter-
intuitive results that are occasionally reported as bugs.  E.g.
consider a player with Michelangelo and a temple, unhappysize=4,
a size 6 city, and a Democracy gov't.

    He builds one bomber (or cruise missile) or sends one aggressive
unit across the border and his city falls into disorder.  He wonders
why.  He's got all kinds of excess happiness modifiers.  He wants to
know why those excess modifiers can't quell the unhappiness caused
by one military unit.

    I think he has a good argument.  What do you think?

-Eddie