Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#11144) 7 science points expected but only 6 received

To: saywhat@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#11144) 7 science points expected but only 6 received
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 02:27:12 -0700

> [ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - Sat Nov 27 08:50:39 2004]:

> When game is saved between arranging workers and after some moves, two
> states have to be saved.

Not in the alternating-moves model, in which case the two actions are
synonymous.

> We can do it atomar, one phase make prod, next phase move the units.
> But i don't like that idea, think the game will be much slower then,
> because you have to work with an area two time one turn (one rearranging
> working + changing production, one moving your units.

FWIW, I believe these fears are unfounded.  What takes time isn't
iterating over the cities but actually applying the logic on the cities.

> I would prefer a solution where the city gets a CM-flag where it should
> try to reach the same (exact) values which the human player reached.
> More is not good because there are situations where it is better to wait
> with something.

Yes, I believe human CM *if it is to exist at all* should be done in the
server.  The client should send all necessary parameters to the server,
where they can be used to apply the CM and easily saved in the savegame.
 The concept of client-side interactive actions is fundamentally
unworkable and should be avoided (see the game_state_ack patch for an
example).

Note this differentiation *does* allow client-side goto.  Note also that
CM may be better of if it doesn't exist...

> production: slow down production to not build a soon obsoleted unit.
> slow down prod, to wait with a wonder until you have the needed
> technology.

But some obsoleted units may be better off built (another gameplay
problem).  I think such choices are better off left up to the player.

> food: Don't grow a city, because bigger you can't held it content.
> Don't grow the city that it doesn't get size 2, then when a enemy
> is entering it, it will be destroyed.

To some degree this is already dealt with by the server's "hints" to the
player.  But these hints don't take into account any actual
"intelligence" just a simple calculation of what will happen in the
absence of any interference.

> in all: use some tiles, because when you use them, your enemy can't use
> them.

With borders this should never be possible except with deep-ocean tiles.

-jason