Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: a new freeciv profile

Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: a new freeciv profile
From: Jason Dorje Short <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 16:45:20 -0400

Peter Schaefer wrote:
I feel the new city dialog takes longer to popup in 2.0 client,
something that profiling wont show, because it is a rare event.

Yes. Profiling for the client isn't as important because it's not overall runtime we're concerned with, it's the latency of specific events.

Does your profiler allow you to break up calls to pf_next by caller? I
guess it will be called a lot by AI planning?!?

This type of profile is usually created by gprof, after compiling using gcc with the -pg flag. A gprof profile has a full breakdown of callers and callees of each function. You can search the archives for some semi-recent gprof profiles.

However I made this with oprofile, a Linux kernel-level tool. For some reason it doesn't create the call graph that gprof usually makes. Maybe I'll find out why.

-jason