Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#12700) Server request tileset

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#12700) Server request tileset
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 09:41:40 -0800

There needs to be a way for the server to 'suggest' to the client which
tileset is to be loaded. If we do 'read aliens.serv', or select 'aliens'
in the client dialog (which does the same thing), where this file contains
all the server instructions for the aliens ruleset, then this should be
all that the player needs to do. Requiring the player to either start the
client with --tiles NNN first, or changing the tileset later on through
the client options, is a usability disaster.

It is currently just too hard to use modpacks with new tilesets.

  - Per