Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12660) RFC Proposed Jenner patch

To: saywhat@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12660) RFC Proposed Jenner patch
From: "Benoit Hudson" <bh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 09:26:41 -0800

On Sat, Mar 26, 2005 at 01:26:15AM -0800, (Eddie Anderson) wrote:

>     Here is my first attempt at making a patch.  It is based on the
> CVS version (patched up through the March 17-18 diffs).  It applies
> to just one file - "server/settlers.c".

The easiest way to make a patch is to do
        cd .../freeciv
        cvs -z3 diff -u > my.patch

Then you apply it using
        patch -p0 < my.patch

>     The purpose of this patch (as you may have deduced from its
> name) is to make smallpox extinct.  However, it is only a first step
> and more code is probably needed to finally eliminate smallpox.  And
> for those who like smallpox games, they can set cityfactor to 99 and
> (hopefully) be happy.

And 640 Kb should be enough for anyone...  A value of zero should be
taken to mean no limit.

Generally, I don't like this as a "solution" to smallpox.  I far prefer
just making it harder to run a larger civ.  It is, however, a potential
solution to making novice AI easier -- but for that, it should be
integrated into the handicaps framework, and the handicap should be
per-player rather than per-game.

        -- Benoît