Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12478) Meta-ticket: C99 and gcc "pedantic" warning

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12478) Meta-ticket: C99 and gcc "pedantic" warnings
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 08:32:05 -0800

Raimar Falke wrote:

>>[jdorje - Fri Mar 11 05:20:06 2005]:
>>
>>In an effort to track down Mike Jing's recent compile error, I thought
>>to try adding
>>
>>   -pedantic -std=c99
>>
>>to my cflags.  The result is a lot of warnings, most of which I can
>>understand as freeciv doing something "bad".
>>
>>So, I will provide a series of patches to fix some of these problems.
>

> Hmm I did a test run and it is IMHO not worth it. Most of the errors are
> there because some symbols like __BSD_SOURCE aren't defined and so
> certain functions or macro's are declared.

This is "fixed" just by removing HAVE_XXX in config.h.  All of these
unavailable functions are presumable not entirely portable so we need to
still compile if they're not present.  However running ./configure with
the extra CFLAGS doesn't work too well so I just added them in by hand
to config.h.

However once you get to the client, there are all sorts of warnings that
don't look like they're worth fixing.

-jason