Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12617) Feature request: Relocate units

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12617) Feature request: Relocate units
From: "Benoit Hudson" <bh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 13:01:49 -0800

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 12:23:41PM -0800, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> RMS:
> > It would also be good to add a feature that you can tell each city
> > where to send the units it produces.
>
> There are two ways to do this:
>  - client side (add automatic goto), would only work on a continent basis

I'm all for (a).

One thing it might be able to do, which would change the game somewhat:
if you have a production city A within range of a city under attack B,
you could move the new unit from A to B before the enemy can enter B.

At the moment, the only ways to avoid losing B are to buy a unit in that
town or move an existing unit into it by the beginning of the next turn.
In civ2, the only thing you could do was move an existing unit by the
end of the current turn -- the freeciv behaviour makes it harder to
attack.

So we should consider this in the implementation.  But definitely,
automatic goto would make me happy.

        -- Benoît