Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Reminder: New client irc meet

To: Per Inge Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Reminder: New client irc meet
From: Raimar Falke <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 02:41:06 +0100

On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 08:42:26PM +0000, Per Inge Mathisen wrote:
> There will be an irc discussion on how to proceed with the OpenGL / ftwl
> client work on Saturday 2000 UTC in the #freeciv-dev channel on
> irc.freenode.org. If you are interested or might be interested in helping
> out with this work, please stop by.
>
> PS It is easy to find the UTC time using "date -u" for us linux users...

To bring some fact about the speed of the ftwl client:

It is obvious from the profile

 time   seconds   seconds    calls   s/call   s/call  name
 82.23     94.69    94.69    89431     0.00     0.00  image_copy
  7.94    103.83     9.14       94     0.10     0.10  be_copy_osda_to_screen
  1.74    105.84     2.01  7601614     0.00     0.00  map_pos_to_tile

that the problem is bliting (with masking and transparency). While
SIMD (which is used by Rafal in his SDL client) may bring a speed up
of factor 2 it is not enough. I don't see much more which can be done
using client side rendering. Note that this also means that other
clients which use client side rendering (gtk with fb and the sdl
client) have the same problem.

I looked at the gtk sources and they use the xrender extension. I also
looked at this solution for a backend for the FS client. However I
didn't use it. I don't remember what was the reason (did not run, my X
server didn't have it, wasn't fast, ...). I will try to create a
backend which uses X11 drawing primitives and xrender for
transparency.

        Raimar

--
 email: i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Reality? That's where the pizza delivery guy comes from!"