Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] User interface 2.0.0-beta8.

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] User interface 2.0.0-beta8.
From: Ed Earl Ross <edearl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 07:53:59 -0600

I don't understand why the Freeciv user interface has changed so
much over the past few beta releases. The gross changes are
annoying, because they require relearning the application. In
addition, the 2.0.0-beta8 user interface has many awkward
characteristics, as follows:

1. The "What Nation Will You Be?" dialog box doesn't allow a double
click on a flag to select a nation, instead it is necessary to
click the flag and OK.

2. Topics in "The Freeciv Help Browser" are difficult to find,
because the only difference between topic and subtopic is one space
indentation. It would help to have topics in bold and/or greater
indentation.

3. After pressing B to build a city, the "Build New City" dialog
box pops up half way across the screen, making it necessary to move
the mouse some distance. Otherwise, one must press both Tab and
Enter to create a city, instead of just Enter.

4. The "<city-name> <nn,nnn> Citizens" dialog box us a mixed bag.
The "Close dialog" button has no shortcut.

4.1 The "City Overview" tab is improved with the "Change" button. I
really like it.

4.2 The "Worklists" tab is degraded because it has no "Change"
button. In addition, I miss the stored build list, which was a big
time saver.

4.3 The "CMA" tab buttons "Add preset" and "Delete Preset" have no
shortcut.

4.4 The "Misc Settings" tab loses the cursor location when one tabs
past "Next City," and the Enter key closes the dialog box. Note: It
is possible to tab to the Close button and press Enter to close the
dialog box.

5. The "Turn Done" button doesn't seem to have a shortcut.

6. It is impossible to use only a keyboard, which is a disadvantage
for people with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome caused by overusing a mouse.

7. There is no way, within Freeciv, to cause dialog boxes to stay
on top of the map, except to use an operating system feature.

I have used about ten different versions of Freeciv. Unfortunately,
 the 2.0.0-beta8 release is so awkward, that I will curtail
playing Freeciv until it is improved.