Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#12433) developer help question

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#12433) developer help question
From: "John Hendrickson" <johndhendrickson22124@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 21:10:27 -0800

Hi,

Two simple "gotchas" for burgeoning developers:

1) the www.freeciv.org machine apparently only does ftp xfers - and
   not http transfers.  This is bad, because many developers (like me)
   have firewalls that don't allow ftp (since this requires a modules
   which has a history of security problems).

   So it's hard for me to even get the source.

2) it is very unclear how to get permission to develope
   ? are only mods allowed or any source ? is there some
   procedure to get a CVS checkout if permission is given ?

   I'd like to help develope.  But me, like many, need a
   strict frame work.  I need to know what I'm allowed to
   write, the procedure for getting it proofread (accepted by
   the powers that be).  I need to know that I'm not just wasting
   my time writing code, say, for real time play.  I need to know
   that before I even spend as much as an hour dreaming up a new
   realm of quiet bliss entertainment value ;)

   I'm sure all of you know about that ;)  But it'd be nice
   if the web site had a rundown of exactly how to get acknowledgement
   for working on a part of code and actions to take to get it
   into gameplay once written.  With a perdiod.

   What X11 used to do is this:

          1) sign up as developer

          2) email well known address about feature, wait for response
             (this signifies that once written correctly the feature
              will not be denied)

          3) with aknowledgement the feature is acceptable, write code

          4) get two other members to proofread code (with their name on
             it)

          5) submitt to official team who again proofreads it

          And wait to see it in the next official release ;)

Thanks for contributing (whoever you are ;)

john d hendrickson

johndhendrickson22124@xxxxxxxxx

Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!