Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] corner/edge graphics and hex view

To: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, andrearo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] corner/edge graphics and hex view
From: Jason Dorje Short <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 23:47:58 -0500

Andreas Røsdal wrote:

The visual quality of this patch is excellent! Just curious, how difficult
is it to do this fog in hex mode also?

I haven't answered this but I have thought about it.

The issue is with corner and edge graphics in general in hex views. My thought is that edge graphics should be easy to do in hex (i.e., the extra hex edges will be supported) but corner graphics are too much work.

This means you can do fog in hex but you have to finesse it a little bit, because the code knows about all 4 tiles meeting at a rectangular corner but your fog will only deal with the 3 tiles that "actually" meet there.

Supporting edge graphics however is necessary so that stuff like grid sprites and dspeyer-like transitions will work.

-jason