Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12283) New Improvement: Town Clock

To: paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12283) New Improvement: Town Clock
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 06:07:06 -0800

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Paul Zastoupil wrote:
> I had a long discussion about time yesterday with a coworker.You're
> probably not interested with the discussion, but later I was thinking
> about it and rememberd that time keeping was asignificant civilizastion
> advance.
>
> CTP had a town clock, and I think its a decent city improvement.
>
> I've got a prototype.It needs some massaging.
>
> Basically it adds 25% prod, and 33% tax, science, luxury.
>
> People are more productive when they can agree on when to meet, how long
> something will take, etc.

effect_clock_1 is used twice. I guess the second time it should be
effect_clock_2.

It is not a bad theme. However, it does look like a solution in search of
a problem ;)

We should not add game mechanics like this because they sound cool, but
because they fill a need. Right now we need an early production booster,
and this would come too late in the tech tree, I think, to fill this need.

The building would also seem rather outdated in modern civs, and the
effects should be more concentrated on one benefits.

> Attached is a diff and derived art (under GFDL
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Big_ben_clock_tower.jpg)

GFDL is not GPL compatible, though, so we would have to put this in a
separate PNG. A rather annoying oversight on behalf of the FSF.

  - Per