Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#12243) bug: compute_tech_sell_price is overly symmetri

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#12243) bug: compute_tech_sell_price is overly symmetric
From: "Benoit Hudson" <bh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 14:57:35 -0800

Mateusz made a nice patch in #12129, and I responded he shouldn't change the
logic.

Turns out he should have:
      /* Don't risk it falling into enemy hands */
      if (pplayers_allied(taker, eplayer) &&
          is_player_dangerous(giver, eplayer)) {
        return BIG_NUMBER;
      }

Means that in the attached (hacked) savegame, the Germans evaluate the worth
of Alphabet as 33,333.  So I can get quite a lot from them -- Radio, for
instance.

The reason?  They're allied with the chileans, and I'm at war with them.
Therefore, I evaluate alphabet as being dangerous to give away.  And the
germans are willing to pay for that!

I'm not sure how to design the logic to avoid this.

Another comment is that the cost to me shouldn't be 100k for something
as minor as Alphabet.  It should be based on the value my enemy places
on the tech, which would be about 100.