Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12203) RFC: changes to city-building messages

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12203) RFC: changes to city-building messages
From: "Christian Knoke" <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 12:12:10 -0800

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 09:52:26AM -0800, Jason Short wrote:

> The default settings for what messages are shown are too verbose.

I agree and I disagree :) I'd really think it depends on who plays.

>    "Wilmington has finished Musketeers; next up Marketplace (advisor)."
>    "Wilmington has finished Library; next up Marketplace (worklist)."

This is good.

>    "Wilmington, Raleigh, and Charlotte have finished Musketeers."

maybe this

> with the event so you can't double-click to get to the city.  Maybe we
> could have something more powerful like double-clicking selecting all
> the cities from the cityreport.

There is the selcetion mode  for the map that selects the cities in the city
report when opened, already. Could be combined.

I'm not in the position to make good suggestions. A good solution will
require some work. Please think of the whole before you start.

IMHO it shouldn't be forgotton to find a way for client side translation of
these messages. This is a major feature which can make Freeciv really
attractive in the non-english-speaking world.

Maybe rethink the message model?

> Oh, I skipped the "Game:" prefixes in all this which I assume Per is
> going to remove.

Wasn't the distinction of these that game: messages are for all players,
others only for me?

Christian