Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12056) ocean cities

To: andrearo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12056) ocean cities
From: "miguel@xxxxxxxx" <miguel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 04:35:32 -0800

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 04:17:58 -0800, Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa
<vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, [UTF-8] Andreas Røsdal wrote:

> > Hi there again,
> >
> > I'm making a modpack, testing some fun stuff. The modpack has ocean
> > cities, which just (almost) works. Basically I changed the ruleset to
> > allow Triremes to build cities.
> >
> > However, an assert is triggered. The code assumes that the city must
> > belong to a continent, which I thing would not apply for ocean cities.
> >
> > The error message is:
> >
> > civclient: improvement.c:282: fill_ranges_improv_lists: Assertion `cont >
> > 0' failed.
> > Aborted
> >
> > The code in common/improvement.c is:
> >
> >   if (pcity) {
> >     equiv_list[IR_CITY] = pcity->improvements;
> >     cont = map_get_continent(pcity->tile);
> >     assert(cont > 0);
> >   }
> >

> > So the big question is, can this assert be removed, or perhaps
> > modify map_get_continent allow ocean cities? Removing the assert allows
> > me to play with ocean cities, and it "seems" to work :)
> >
> > Anyway, creating this modpack has made me realize that one can customize
> > pretty much the entire gameplay - great!
>
> You need to know the continent of a city so continent wide wonders like
> Hoover Dam can work properly. This can also be a problem with the trade
> routes code, which checks if something is in another island.
>
> Why not just make the oceans "continents" too?

I don't think that makes much sense.

Back when I first wrote my "future tech" modpack plans, I wrote a unit
that would be able to transform a ocean square into land, essentially
creating a new island. I think that should be the way to go.

--
Miguel Farah
miguel@xxxxxxxx