Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#12056) ocean cities

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#12056) ocean cities
From: "Andreas Røsdal" <andrearo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 02:47:06 -0800

Hi there again,

I'm making a modpack, testing some fun stuff. The modpack has ocean
cities, which just (almost) works. Basically I changed the ruleset to
allow Triremes to build cities.

However, an assert is triggered. The code assumes that the city must
belong to a continent, which I thing would not apply for ocean cities.

The error message is:

civclient: improvement.c:282: fill_ranges_improv_lists: Assertion `cont >
0' failed.
Aborted

The code in common/improvement.c is:

  if (pcity) {
    equiv_list[IR_CITY] = pcity->improvements;
    cont = map_get_continent(pcity->tile);
    assert(cont > 0);
  }

So the big question is, can this assert be removed, or perhaps
modify map_get_continent allow ocean cities? Removing the assert allows
me to play with ocean cities, and it "seems" to work :)

Anyway, creating this modpack has made me realize that one can customize
pretty much the entire gameplay - great!

Andreas Røsdal