Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#11995) Stupid AI Creates Tall Stacks

To: badamson@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#11995) Stupid AI Creates Tall Stacks
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 16:20:11 -0800

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, Jason Short wrote:
> Benedict Adamson wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately, the AI movement function, ai_unit_goto, uses a warmap
> > (via do_unit_goto) rather than PF, so most of the work for this would be
> > rewritingai_unit_goto.
>
> Changing all warmap code to use PF should be a first priority I think.

Certainly not a "first priority", but a higher priority than fixing tall
stacks, yes perhaps.

I did a rewrite of fstk to use pf, and, well, it was non-trivial, since
the APIs are rather different. We (I and Greg) decided the effort was not
worth it, since fstk should be nuked anyway.

Well, there are a lot of chicken and egg problems here. Basically anywhere
you start is good, and I won't put up a fight about your starting
position. But replacing old defunct code should be high on the list of
things to do. Especially that old and klunky fstk - but that one is tough.

Anyway, ai_unit_goto() could perhaps use pf easily. Check out
ai_unit_execute_path() in aitools.c.

  - Per