Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#11562) Freeciv Server Performance

To: kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#11562) Freeciv Server Performance
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 14:54:15 -0800

Benoit Hudson wrote:

>>One problem though is this will still rearrange all workers even when
>>just one should be placed.
>

> I disagree with "should" here.  For CPU reasons, we want to avoid rearranging
> too much; but that's the only reason I can really think of.  If we can
> rearrange
> all workers at acceptable CPU cost, then we should.

For human players I don't think this is true.  If a city grows in size
all workers are rearranged by default.  But for a human player who's
placed his workers by hand he doesn't want this - he just wants the new
worker to be placed greedily.  This would basically replace the need for
the CITYO_EINSTEIN and CITYO_TAXMAN options (once we have
user-controlled server-side CM).

-jason