Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#11828) patch: partial city update for what-if scen

To: bh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#11828) patch: partial city update for what-if scenarios
From: "Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa" <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 10:11:56 -0800

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005, Jason Short wrote:

> > [bhudson - Fri Jan 07 06:00:20 2005]:
> >
> > Here's a patch to do a partial update to the city: if the caller
> > knows the production, then we can update the city in half
> > the time of a generic_city_refresh.
> >
> > The patch includes a one-line change to the cm to use the new
> > function.  The cm.sav.gz in PR#10203 takes 3.8s in the CM rather
> > than 4.8s on load; and the CM on Boston takes ~.3s rather than ~.7s
>
> On further review the design is growing on me.  It is pretty simple, but
> I'm still concerned that it will be bug-prone.  And I'm not too happy
> with the name ;-).

Can it be extended? The concept of not re-calculating already up to date
values should be extendable. I think if it wasn't so much of a corner case
optimization it wouldn't "feel" as strange.

Don't wait for an extension of the design to commit this patch if you
think it is good and makes things faster though.

---