Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#11828) patch: partial city update for what-if scenario

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#11828) patch: partial city update for what-if scenarios
From: "Benoit Hudson" <bh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 21:11:54 -0800

> [jdorje - Mon Jan 10 03:07:32 2005]:
> > [bhudson - Fri Jan 07 06:00:20 2005]:
>
> On further review the design is growing on me.  It is pretty simple, but
> I'm still concerned that it will be bug-prone.  And I'm not too happy
> with the name ;-).

My idea is that the optimal solution is we can set any fields we want:
set_city_map or set_citizen_base or add_building.  Then we call
get_ppl_happy, and it automatically knows to recompute the surplus
and so on.

This seems like a big project, since to avoid being overly bugprone,
it would pretty much need to have some automatic code generation.
So I opted for a simpler patch.

I'm fine with not putting this in yet, if performance isn't a
problem right now.  The two obvious uses I can see are in the CM,
and for settlers -- the latter we can't easily do right now.  But, of
course, I haven't actually coded that up.