Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#11689) startdialog is bad when loading all-AI game

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#11689) startdialog is bad when loading all-AI game
From: "Christian Knoke" <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 02:31:01 -0800

On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 10:06:17PM -0800, Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004, Christian Knoke wrote:
>
> > Now when I 'Start' the game runs crazy again.
> >
> > Ok, I can
> >
> > chris: 'aito Mut'
> > /aitoggle: Mutsuhito is now under human control.
> >
> > but shouldn't this be done automagically?
> >
> > Hhm, think this is another bug ...
>
> Yes, now I think of it, it would probably be best just to make the player
> you connect to at game load be Human by default.

Things are more complicated than that I fear, though I do not understand it
fully yet. The following is *without* your patch.

In a game with autotoggle=1, when civserver runs seperat, and you log in,
the player gets human, and there is no problem. But when you load the game
with civclient, the autotoggle does not work!

In games where autotoggle=0, aitoggle might help, but what about the take
command, maybe you want to take another player?

aitoggle is difficult, because you need to know the state. You could change
aitoggle into 2 commands 'ai' and 'human' to avoid this.

When I create a three AI game and /start, the game does *not* run. When I
log in with an unused name, this connection is not /listed.

Then, when I /take chris a, the game *runs* auto. When I /aito a, the game
stops, and I can play. When I /aito a *again* (making me AI) the game does
*not* run automaticly.

*With* your patch, the civclient sets some options in a loaded game I do not
want to be set, eg AI level.

Bottom line: When we start or load a local game with civclient, and the user
is assigned to a player (names match), the player should be set to human (if
AI). Right now, it isn't, even when autotoggle is set.

What should happen with non-local connections to that game?

In an all AI game, where civclient observes, civclient should be responsive
in some way.

Christian