Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#10722) Not enough grasslands/plains

To: mburda@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#10722) Not enough grasslands/plains
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 19:57:56 -0800

> [mburda - Fri Dec 03 12:56:45 2004]:
>
> Plz, use this stat as a tool but not forget to see the maps too and
> not forget too adjust temperature and others parameters to get the
> map you want, if not posible to get more or less ok map for you there
> are maybe a problem.

Yes, I did look at the map.  I even played a game or two.  Yes, I did
try adjusting the three parameters.  And yes, there is still a problem.

> about glacier this is very well controled by temperature, if default
> 50 is too low for you simply try 60!

I have no problem with glacier since normally they don't affect gameplay
too much anyway.

> abouy masive plain/grassland i think this can be done reducing the
> wetness.  but this can push up a little the dessert, this is the
> price for some realistic map. very difficult to do a good mix but
> i think this will be very playable even with some extra dessert.

I think 8-10% desert is way too much for normal gameplay.  I don't care
if it's realistic or not.  The "broken" percentages generated by the old
mapgen code worked fine for me and many others, and I would like to at
least have the _option_ to play on a map with a terrain distribution
that's close to what we used to have.

> noturaly big zones of earth are forest but work of mens convert it to
> plains, this is not so extraordinary to need some terraforming....
> this point is if it is too mach for gameplay or not?

One more time, yes, it is too much, at least to me.  I would like to
have the choice to how much realism I want.  To that end, I suggest that
two more parameters to be added: 1) Badness: controls the relative
amount of bad terrain (Desert/Jungle/Swamp).  2) Greenness: controls the
amount of forest relative to grassland/plains.  The default can be as
realistic as you want, but please let me decide what is playable.

And by the way, I want my Rivers option back.

Mike Jing