Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10722) Not enough grasslands/plains

To: miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10722) Not enough grasslands/plains
From: "Marcelo Burda" <mburda@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 04:56:48 -0800

Le Vendredi 3 Décembre 2004 13:37, miguel@xxxxxxxx a écrit :

> Not that I want to mess around, but wouldn't be 10% glacier be more than
> enough?
>
> On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 03:58:03 -0800, Mike Jing <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > [jdorje - Fri Dec 03 09:21:52 2004]:
> > >
> > > Apparently this was committed to 2.0 a few weeks ago, but not to the
> > > dev branch yet.  However it doesn't seem to make a big difference
> > > in 2.0. Percentages of forest are down but plains and grassland
> > > aren't that much higher.
> >
> > It did improve things a bit, but didn't go far enough.  This is what I
> > get with topology=5, steepness=10 and everything else at default (S2_0):
> >
> > Glacier: 16%
> > Desert: 8%
> > Jungle: 3%
> > Swamp: 5%
> > Tundra: 4%
> > Mountains: 4%
> > Hills: 7%
> > Forest: 20%
> > Grassland: 17%
> > Plains: 16%
> >
> > This is what I would like to see:
> >
> > Glacier: 15%
> > Desert/Jungle/Swamp/Tundra/Mountains: 15% total
> > Hills: 8%
> > Forest: 12%
> > Grassland: 25%
> > Plains: 25%
> >
> > So, Desert, etc. and Forest still need to be reduced, and
> > Grassland/Plains increased further.  It might not be realistic, but it's
> > what I think is best for gameplay.
> >
> > Mike Jing
Plz, use this stat as a tool but not forget to see the maps too and not forget
too adjust temperature and others parameters to get the map you want, if not
posible to get more or less ok map for you there are maybe a problem.

about glacier this is very well controled by temperature, if default 50 is too
low for you simply try 60!

abouy masive plain/grassland i think this can be done reducing the wetness.
but this can push up a little the dessert, this is the price for some
realistic map. very difficult to do a good mix but i think this will be very
playable even with some extra dessert.

noturaly big zones of earth are forest but work of mens convert it to plains,
this is not so extraordinary to need some terraforming.... this point is if
it is too mach for gameplay or not?

now i has to continue working ... later

Marcelo