Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] client allows buying when it is impossible was: Re: (PR#1

To: ralf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] client allows buying when it is impossible was: Re: (PR#11104) bug in beta4: disorder stopped, still can't buy
From: "Christian Knoke" <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 13:50:45 -0800

On Sun, Nov 21, 2004 at 09:40:14AM -0800, ralf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > The disband state is determined at turn (year) change. So, if your capital
> > was in disorder at the very beginning of the turn, you should not be able to
> > buy later on *in that turn*, even when you manage to stop the disorder.
>
> Ah, I see now my error was
> 1. assuming that reloading a game starts a new turn, and
> 2. assuming that a missing lightning icon on the city means
>    disorder is stopped, when it is not.
>
> While this resolves the issue in your favour, I'd still argue
> that point 2 is an inconsistency.

Disorder is dynamic during the game; it depends on many factors. So the
lightning symbol should be correct at all times.

Buying is not allowed when the disorder state continues over turn change.
If it were dynamic, too, it opens for lots of tricks to calm the city down
for a moment and buy then.

> Also, I have had spurious "can't buy" messages after creating new
> cities but I cannot say exactly when.

It is not allowed to buy in a new city. But there is another error then:

CVS 21 NOV 2004 S2 GTK2

The client allows buying in a new city; it even asks for confirmation.
The buy vutton should be deactivated in this case.

Christian