Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10965) great library vs. freecost

To: chrisk@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10965) great library vs. freecost
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 09:13:50 -0800

Christian Knoke wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 13, 2004 at 01:43:24AM -0800, Jason Short wrote:

>>This looks like a bug introduced by the new tech code.  In 1.14
>>saving_bulbs was only considered if it was the currently-researching
>>tech that was found.  If another tech was found the bulbs would never be
>>reset.
>>
>>We could return to this behavior (which is different from the current
>>behavior, even under the patch I gave) but I'm not really sure it would
>>be better.  Any design people want to comment?
>

> Your patch works here.
>
> I find the behaviour of freecost difficult.

Well, I think it is intended to be so.  Having to "pay" for "free" techs
is kindof a bizarre concept.

> With freecost=0, I think, bulbs should always be saved (Great Lib and huts).

Yep.  They're "free".

> With freecost=100, it works like this (only tested with huts, think Great
> Library is the same):
>
> When I get a tech (the currently researching one or an other), the bulb costs
> for the currently researched tech are subtracted from my bulbs. This always
> results in a negative bulb account for the next-to-achieve tech. This seems
> wrong in 3 ways:
>
> 1) What is subtracted, depends on the chosen tech, and can vary widely. You
>    might want to set a cheap tech if you have Great Lib to minimize the
>    losses (or if you're out for huts).

I don't understand this.  The amount subtracted should depend on the
tech you receive "free".

> 2) The subtraction makes science out of huts, and even Great Library
>    completely worthless: Can you confirm, that the next free tech from GL
>    gives another subtraction of the already negative bulbs account?

It should.  With freecost of 100% you have to pay full price for free
techs, so this behavior is correct.  Now why you'd want it is a
different question.

> 3) During the next turns, as long as the account is negative, you can change
>    the tech without loss, even if techpenalty=100, which is default.

This makes sense if you consider that while the account is negative you
are paying off the techs you have already researched.

> 4) Huts and GL even can hurt, because you are blocked from researching a
>    special tech you want/need.

Yep.

> I'd say, just nullify the bulbs account in case of freecost=100. This
> reduces GL and huts, but doesn't make them worthless. It is fair and
> transparent, and you cannot do big tricks.

Maybe.

jason