Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10734) SVG flags

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10734) SVG flags
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 00:18:10 -0700

I've attached 3 of the package (as a comment to the ticket).

As before, untar this into the data/flags directory, and run
"./convert_png *.svg".  You will have to install inkscape to do the
rendering (sodipodi may also be used; you'll have to edit convert_png to
use it).  At the end you should have a complete set of usable flag PNG
files.

For an example, take a look at
http://rt.freeciv.org/Ticket/Attachment/72590/49917/flags-large.png.
This contains all the flags rendered at a width of 150 pixels.  Using
SVG we will be able to use graphics like this directly within the game
(although *where* to use them is the question).

The collection now has a full set of SVG sprites.  The only missing flag
is Olympic, which should be removed (trademark issues).  Also included
is a file "credits" containing information about the credits, and a
longer file CREDITS which contains (among other things) the credits for
the sodipodi-clip-art flags.

I also updated the bigisotrident tileset to use re-rendered versions of
the flags.  It can be found at
ftp://ftp.freeciv.org/freeciv/contrib/tilesets/bigisotrident/.  Also
included is a screenshot showing the (larger, better) flags used by the
128x64 tileset.  Other non-standardly-sized tilesets should do the same
thing.

The only remaining problem is that the PNG files are not converted into
indexed mode.  This means gui-xaw will not be able to use them.  I'm not
sure how best to fix them.  I was pointed to pngquant but it does not
seem to be widely distributed, easy to compile, or for that matter very
good.

jason