Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10738) Installed freeciv-2.0.0-beta2 doesn't start

To: markuslaire@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10738) Installed freeciv-2.0.0-beta2 doesn't start or load games
From: "Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa" <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 07:33:28 -0700

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Markus Laire wrote:

> I installed freeciv-2.0.0-beta2 normally with ./configure
> --prefix=/usr/local/freeciv ; make ; su ; make install
>
> (using Gtk 2.0 client. (actually gtk2.2.4))
>
> When I start freeciv from kde's desktop (from desktop-icon with command
> /usr/local/freeciv/bin/civclient), it comes up, and sound works, but "Start
> New Game" button does nothing when I push it. If I select "load new game", I
> get a listing of saved games in ~/.freeciv, but when I push "OK", nothing
> happens. Browsing does work, but again when I try to select something and
> start a game, game does not start. Eventually I have to select "Cancel" and
> quit client, for nothing else seems to work.
>

> If I only do ./configure ; make  and then start freeciv from that directory
> using command client/civclient - everything works and I can start games and
> load games.
>
> I have SuSe 9.1 personal-iso linux (with those additional devel-packages
> which freeciv requires)
>

> I don't know too much about debugging installations and this was first
> program I managed to install from sources using SuSe 9.1 personal. But
> because freeciv does work from the directory where I unpacked it, I think
> everything should be ok, and it should work also after being installed.

It seems the client can't locate your server binary for some reason or
connect to it.

By default it tries to spawn "./ser", "./server/civserver" and "civserver".
Do you know where the server executable is in your installation?

FWIW, you can provide more info if you start the client thus:

$ civclient --log logfile

and send us the resulting logfile, having pressed start new game, etc.

---