Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10647) gtk2 startscreen: titles for network tabs a

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10647) gtk2 startscreen: titles for network tabs aren't helpful
From: "Mike Kaufman" <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 12:06:27 -0700

On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 10:55:42AM -0700, Jason Short wrote:

> but for a typical newbie user these are probably not understandable.  I
> would instead suggest:
>
>    "Connect to Global Game"
>    "Connect to Local Game"

Neither are any good. "Global" makes no sense to anybody. A lot of people
are familiar with the concept of metaservers and if they are not, if will
become more clear when the pubserver servers show up in the box and even
more clear when they read the online help (that probably doesn't exist yet,
but should and should talk about proxies too). Local Game is awful because
local could easily be confused with single-player games, and we don't want
that. Anybody who has played a computer game in the last 5 years should be
familiar with the term LAN. If not, he should read the online help.

-mike