Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#9942) planned unit movement

To: lakatoszoltan@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#9942) planned unit movement
From: "Guest" <rt-guest@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 06:38:10 -0700

> [guest - Wed Oct 06 04:13:42 2004]:

In that 5th diff file, I removed redundant parts, used the latest
snapshot I found, and removed move-packet conversion.

To make a good unit step order, I tried to collect some advantages and
disadvantages of two considerable method, the "strongest unit attacks
first" and the "player tactics". Note: This question is independent
from player step order and fairness.

"strongest unit attacks first"
(with land units step last)
Advantages:
-there is a similar method, if more unit defends a square. There the
strongest defends first, and the player can not decide the order too.
The order is important only when more units attack a square
-mostly this is the optimal way to avoid unit loss
-easyer for player

Disadvantages:
- (?) no ignore zone of controll trick (step first with diplomat or
explorer to a square, then with a military unit)

"player tactics"
Advantages:
-maximal freedom

Disadvantages:
-how to insert a unit to the middle of list (player wants a unit to go
before another). I think, without displaying that list, can be too
diffecult for player.

Zoli