Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10276) Goto bug

To: mstefek@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10276) Goto bug
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 10:13:57 -0700

Benoit Hudson wrote:

> How about storing the waypoints explicitely in the unit struct (instead of
> just one
> goto_dest, have an array)?  Then each turn the client can just replan.  This
> has the
> benefit of dealing with the problem of random movements, new roads, enemy
> units
> blocking the path (that is, noticing this before sidling up next to it).  The
> number of
> units under goto control probably isn't so large that this would make things
> too
> compute-expensive.

I absolutely do not want orders to turn into a client-side agent.  It
should be a tool for the player, nothing more.  Doing otherwise just
leads to escalading complication.

In particular, once the player has entered the path it should be
followed exactly as shown.  If he wants to change it he can do so by
making a new path.

jason