Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10245) gen-movement

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10245) gen-movement
From: "Marko Lindqvist" <marko.lindqvist@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 09:51:58 -0700

Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> Why? Are you thinking abot units that can move up rivers, can't move over
> mountains, and stuff like that? The current movement types are heavily
> used in the AI (and to much lesser extent in the server), and we should be
> careful not to generalize the server faster than we can improve the AI to
> match.

  Oh yes, I'll keep that in mind. My original idea was that we really
should make some general functions to handle movement/transportation
related rules, ie just code cleanup. But then I though that it could be
nice to make those generalizations visible to user as well, through
rulesets. Obviously we have to be careful when deciding what
generalizations we let out to ruleset level (not only for AI's sake).
  All, except game.ruleset, our rulesets started out as hardcoded
structure arrays inside executable. I'd like to create such an array for
movement types. Then we can, over time, change current hardcoded
properties into references to hardcoded values inside that struct array.
Once all callers are fixed, we are free to change those values.

  - Caz