Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10222) gtk2 client: death to popups?

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10222) gtk2 client: death to popups?
From: "Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa" <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 06:01:24 -0700

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, Jason Short wrote:

> 1.  Unrequested popups are evil.  They come up when you don't want them
> and have to be disposed of.
>
> 2.  Controllable windows are nice.  When playing in non-fullscreen some
> may want to move windows around to keep them open always.
>
> -----
>
> Now that the meswin dialog is gone, I find myself all the more annoyed
> by the remaining popup windows.
>

> The report dialogs (like "richest nation", they pop up every few turns)
> are the most annoying of all.  But this is easily solvable - this should
> be another tab in the chat area!  It's just text after all.
>

> The science dialog is rather annoying.  In most cases I'd rather control
> when this comes up.  Several choices here:
>
> - Simply make it an option whether to bring it up automatically.  If
> disabled, the user has to figure out when to bring it up for themselves.

I think it should just be disabled by default.

> - Don't pop it up automatically (or let it be a user option).  However
> provide a new event for the meswin message for tech research.  When this
> event is clicked on in the meswin, the science dialog is brought up.

Yes and I also think the server should remind you that you haven't
selected a tech, by sending you a message via the meswin, every single
turn until you do select a tech.

> - Don't pop it up unless there is no tech goal set (that is, unless the
> new research is unset).
>

> The revolution dialog should just go away.
>
> The end-of-game dialog is forgivable.  However this should be merged
> into a general "score" dialog that is user-controlled.  This is more of
> a long-term goal.

Yes, we should have a real score dialog, with charts, etc, instead of that
crummy demographics report and the report of the top N civilizations,
etc. SMAC always showed the player scores via line graphs and histograms.

But I'm not very concerned with that right now.

> I'm not sure what other unrequested popups there are, but I'll be sure
> to complain about them when I find them.

/wall messages. But those are configurable. You may disable the popup,
enable the meswin instead, by changing the messages configuration.

Besides that there is the race selection dialog, the connect dialog, the
diplomatic meeting dialog. The diplomatic meeting dialog is probably the
most annoying. I can't remember anything else off the top of my head right
now.

---