Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6007) Civ3 feature: Different sea types

To: marko.lindqvist@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6007) Civ3 feature: Different sea types
From: "Marcelo Burda" <mburda@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 06:20:57 -0700

Le lun 23/08/2004 à 13:46, Per I. Mathisen a écrit :

> On Mon, 23 Aug 2004, Marcelo Burda wrote:
> > terrains_identifier patch is needed
> > rm fixed already comited
> > FIX blending (best one need a patch )
>
> You change terr_gate in the rulesets. I do not think this is necessary.
> The two new ocean types should never be placed adjacent to a city by the
> mapgen anyway.
but after terraforming ocean to land and create creating a city there
this can be!
> You remove terrain_unused_0. This is (or was?) needed for savegame
> compatibility. Please explain why terrain_unused_0 is no longer necessary
> or put it back.
my first patch not touch it , Jason say me to use it, and i think hi as
right, if we go generalize terrains this will be near impossible to kip
compatibility. Anyway what type of compatibility is it, T_RIVER is not
more handle at all! best to get a error o do a little script to convert
'r'->' ' if really needed.
If your want it, i can add, but is a not sense or i not understand
something
> Is there a patch for mapgen which generates maps with deep ocean?
is in a separate patch #9769.
> Do we really need T_ABYSS? What purpose does it serve in the game which
> T_DEEPOCEAN does not already satisfy?
at very short time noting except allow me to do good generators code for
oceans relief. (my first one is not so much good, see it to anwer my
question there, i need you comment about it)

At medium time is part of a general terrain concept where terrains has 3
levels of relief (plains/oceans, hill/deep ocean, mountains/abyss), but
any else are as a this time to be very hardly think. probably not for
the 2.0,

Whit sea cities this can get more interest, but with the actual default
rules-set deep_oceans/abyss are the some. maybe stat go with to be tuned
until sea cities really be included.

i am horror to do half patch to do the some thing some time later,
specially i am very bad in graphics, introduce it now will stimulate
real artist to do good graphic. when this get a real game interest, easy
to see graphics will be very important.
And do a good generator need some test. then is best to have these 3
levels from now.
>   - Per

Marcelo