Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9685) Make server create a wiki server manual

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9685) Make server create a wiki server manual
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 16:14:38 -0700

Jason Short wrote:

> Per I. Mathisen wrote:

>>New version. Can now create server commands, server options, wonders,
>>buildings and terrain manual pages. It is a bit kludgy.
>>
>>Input on how this beast can be done in a more clean and nice way would be
>>appreciated. It is rather ugly.
>
> Make it a separate program.  It can still link to code in common/ and
> server/ but should be modularly separate.  It should be in CVS (probably
> in its own directory).

http://www.freeciv.org/wiki/index.php/Test

To make something like this you'd have to link to both server and
client.  The program would have to load the ruleset and output its text,
then load the tileset and write a few PNG files from it.  Not
particularly easy...but definitely possible.  Perhaps in the long run
this is what we should aim for.

Based on that I think the manual should be generated by an external
program in the manual/civmanual.  To begin with it would have the same
links as server/civserver has.  It would also need to be able to access
some of the data currently static in stdinhand.c (the settings struct,
for instance) which would have to be moved to stdinhand.h.  Not too hard.

jason