Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8570) no auth for gtk2 client

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8570) no auth for gtk2 client
From: "Mike Kaufman" <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 11:52:27 -0700

On Sun, Aug 15, 2004 at 11:34:38AM -0700, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Aug 2004, Mike Kaufman wrote:
> > attached is a patch that fixes authentication for freeciv. I've removed
> > capability requirement for auth.
>
> What does this mean? Will non-auth-capable clients crash?

no, but on connecting to an auth-enabled server, the client will receive a
authentication_req packet and not know enough to send an appropriate reply.
The server will never "establish" the connection and I suppose eventually
will timeout the connection. You the client will connect, and see nothing
happen. For all intents and purposes, they'll hang.

Looking at the way I originally wrote the client structure,
handle_authentication_req() should probably be put into client/ and tell
the gui to reconfigure itself using accessor functions. But this is
definitely beyond the scope of the patch.

-mike