Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9692) In city naval port

To: mburda@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9692) In city naval port
From: "Gregory Berkolaiko" <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 04:27:19 -0700

To summarize, you don't like the fact that ships can't cross from one
ocean into another through a city and you suggest that at some point city
decides which ocean it is on, so the "crossing" is prevented.

First, I do not see much problem in the current behaviour.

Second, what you propose would complicate both the user interaction and
the code enormously.

Third, it does not contradict the history much, as Per pointed out.
Another example is Vikings going to Constantinopole through Russia by boat
when there was no direct river connection.  In fact, settlements were
established in places where you can haul a boat from one river to another
(one example -- present day Volokolamsk).

G.