Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Government fun: A tale of two dystopias

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Government fun: A tale of two dystopias
From: Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 14:15:50 +0100 (WET DST)

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> I wanted to test out something new, so I played around with the
> governments ruleset a bit. The result is a patch that adds two new techs
> and two new governments. Consider it a brainstorming idea, and not really
> a suggestion to add it to cvs.
>
> So.
>
> Everyone seem to agree that we need more high-level techs. Most games are
> over by the time one player gets cruisers, but some people like to play on
> and on, and for these, more techs is a boon.
>
> A bigger tech tree, one that goes into the future, should also have new
> governments. However, this raises political problems, since judging
> political utopias about what the future would look if these ideals were
> implemented would give rise to endless debates (ie which is better, would
> this be possible, it wouldn't be like that, etc). So instead, I suggest we
> use dystopian ideas about the future.
>
> A dystopia is the opposite of a utopia - that is, a horror image of how
> bad the future can be. So let's caricature the rightwing's fear of a
> leftwing future and the leftwing's fear of a rightwing future, and see
> what we come up with:
>
> New govt: Unification. This should be familiar to anyone who has played
> Master of Orion 2 :). Basically, your huxlean Brave New World, where
> genetic engineering is combined with thorough utilitarianism and total
> disregard for the individual. Production is increased when celebrating,
> there is no unhappiness, no corruption, and civil war and incitement is
> impossible; however, little trade is produced, there is some waste due to
> bureaucratic inefficiency and research is slow. Citizens become unhappy if
> there is war as if it were a Republic. Good for smallpox.  Requires
> Genetic Engineering and Labour Union.

A Big Brother totalitarian type government eh? Yes, low trade, high
production, no corruption and unhappiness (everybody is a drone) sounds
double plus good.
This is the authoritarian dystopia. For those who want to control
everything.

> New govt: Corporate. The big corporations run the government and care only
> for big money and nothing for the common man. Enormous trade income and
> food production, and increased shield production when celebrating, but
> also high waste, corruption and unhappiness that has to be dealt with.
> Some martial law possible. Citizens become unhappy if there is war as if
> it were a Republic. Good for bigpox (metropolises). Requires Corporation
> and Robotics. Can rapture grow.

A big free for all? Sounds interesting. Perhaps this should require
The Corporation and Information Networks (a new tech coming off Computers)
instead.
This is the libertarian dystopia. For those who think everyone should be
able to do what they want to do. Except when it comes to defense and
peacekeeping.