Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Government fun: A tale of two dystopias

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Government fun: A tale of two dystopias
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 10:24:42 +0000 (GMT)

I wanted to test out something new, so I played around with the
governments ruleset a bit. The result is a patch that adds two new techs
and two new governments. Consider it a brainstorming idea, and not really
a suggestion to add it to cvs.

So.

Everyone seem to agree that we need more high-level techs. Most games are
over by the time one player gets cruisers, but some people like to play on
and on, and for these, more techs is a boon.

A bigger tech tree, one that goes into the future, should also have new
governments. However, this raises political problems, since judging
political utopias about what the future would look if these ideals were
implemented would give rise to endless debates (ie which is better, would
this be possible, it wouldn't be like that, etc). So instead, I suggest we
use dystopian ideas about the future.

A dystopia is the opposite of a utopia - that is, a horror image of how
bad the future can be. So let's caricature the rightwing's fear of a
leftwing future and the leftwing's fear of a rightwing future, and see
what we come up with:

New govt: Unification. This should be familiar to anyone who has played
Master of Orion 2 :). Basically, your huxlean Brave New World, where
genetic engineering is combined with thorough utilitarianism and total
disregard for the individual. Production is increased when celebrating,
there is no unhappiness, no corruption, and civil war and incitement is
impossible; however, little trade is produced, there is some waste due to
bureaucratic inefficiency and research is slow. Citizens become unhappy if
there is war as if it were a Republic. Good for smallpox.  Requires
Genetic Engineering and Labour Union.

New govt: Corporate. The big corporations run the government and care only
for big money and nothing for the common man. Enormous trade income and
food production, and increased shield production when celebrating, but
also high waste, corruption and unhappiness that has to be dealt with.
Some martial law possible. Citizens become unhappy if there is war as if
it were a Republic. Good for bigpox (metropolises). Requires Corporation
and Robotics. Can rapture grow.

Neither govt will inspire partisans.

See the attached patch for details. Try it. Have fun.

  - Per