Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#8394) New diplomacy model

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#8394) New diplomacy model
From: "James Canete" <use_less@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 02:27:22 -0700

I like the idea of emissary meetings, but I can't help but think of how
people could abuse them.

Assuming everyone's timeout is changed when an emissary is sent, I can
see this happening:

Before the timeout hits zero, Player A sends an emissary to player B,
resetting the timeout.  Before it hits zero again, Player A sends an
emissary to player C, resetting the timeout again.  And so on and so on.
 Even if Player A can't do anything useful with the extra time, he can
extend the turn indefinitely.

So I think the number of game related emissaries should be limited to 1
per player per turn, or preferably 1 per player per 5 turns.  And an
auto-ignore emissary option (sent to the server, so it autorejects any
emissary requests from a particular player, thus not changing the
timeout) would be nifty too.

I also get the feeling people will abuse the server votes just to annoy
people, since they are automatically broadcast to everyone.  So either
these should also be limited, or we can be mean and make a vote for
silencing someone's server votes. :) (or is there already a cmdlevel
that can't start votes, so starting a "/cmdlevel cantvote annoyingruler"
vote would work?)

Thirdly, should there be the option for altering trade negotiation
clauses and sending the emissary back?  For instance, if I offer two
cities for 200 gold, can my counterpart change it to 100 gold and ask
for a response to the new deal?  If we limit emissaries like I said
above, these kind of negotiations should be exempt to the limit until a
player accepts or rejects.

-James Canete