Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#4539) rules against smallpox/ICS

To: rt-guest@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: cskecskes@xxxxxxxxxx, juhani.heino@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#4539) rules against smallpox/ICS
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 13:47:05 -0700

First of all, I think smallpox and ICS are closely related, so I often use
those two terms interchangeably.  One can argue the finer points of
difference, but the fact is that it's far easier to build new cities than
improving existing ones, so one ends up with lots of small cities instead of
bigger ones, closely packed or not.  That's why citymindist doesn't work as
a deterence to smallpox/ICS.

But before we implement any complicated "fix", I think we should still try
to attack the problem at the source.  Of course, there are many contributing
factors to the problem, and they have to be identified and dealt with
accordingly.  One small step is the renewed attempt to remove the free city
center (PR#8890), as it removes one of the obvious advantages of ICS.  And
with the introduction of the worker unit, it's actually quite playable.
(Hint: it's a good idea to irrigate the city site before settling.)

Another simple change is to raise the cost of settlers, as been suggested
before.  I am sure this won't be popular but it's an effective way to slow
down ICS and make city development more attractive.  It would slow down the
game in general, but IMO the tech development is too fast in a default
smallpox game anyway.

These two changes are probably not enough to stop smallpox altogether, but
should at least help a lot.  I would need people to playtest and see how
well it works, and then decide if further changes are needed.

Mike Jing

MSN 9 Dial-up Internet Access helps fight spam and pop-ups – now 2 months
FREE! http://join.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200361ave/direct/01/