Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#9329) Re: [Freeciv#9181] Freeciv algorythm

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#9329) Re: [Freeciv#9181] Freeciv algorythm
From: "Pavel Bogdan" <swromania21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 03:15:53 -0700

Per Inge Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004, Pavel Bogdan wrote:
> Ok. So you have numbers for all oceans and continents
No, we only have it for continents now. We also need it for oceans, but
nobody has had the time to implement it yet.
> Now you could give some other "algorythm-like" problem and I may be able
> to help you(and any useful info regarding it). I will post a solution
> when I find it, so don't wait too much for my e-mail response... :]
Finding the right algorithms is not what we need help with. We need help
implementing them in the freeciv codebase, that is, writing patches, since
this takes the most time and time is what we are short on.

I understand, but what happens if, for example, a city is next to 2 oceans? It
can even be next to 3 oceans! What kind of testing would be useful to do in
these cases?  From what you say I see that the continent-number-assignement
algorythm is in mapgen.h.    The problem is, like I told you before, the cvs
version available for download has this thing with the civserver.exe file which
has more than 5 MB and I can't play the game(so I can't see if the ocean thingy
would work). You could release the 1.15 version(stable) first and afterwards
add the needed stuff for oceans etc.  And time, I believe, nobody has enough...
:)  (me too)

Per Inge Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004, Pavel Bogdan wrote:
> Ok. So you have numbers for all oceans and continents
No, we only have it for continents now. We also need it for oceans, but
nobody has had the time to implement it yet.
> Now you could give some other "algorythm-like" problem and I may be able
> to help you(and any useful info regarding it). I will post a solution
> when I find it, so don't wait too much for my e-mail response... :]
Finding the right algorithms is not what we need help with. We need help
implementing them in the freeciv codebase, that is, writing patches, since
this takes the most time and time is what we are short on.

I understand, but what happens if, for example, a city is next to 2 oceans? It can even be next to 3 oceans! What kind of testing would be useful to do in these cases?  From what you say I see that the continent-number-assignement algorythm is in mapgen.h.    The problem is, like I told you before, the cvs version available for download has this thing with the civserver.exe file which has more than 5 MB and I can't play the game(so I can't see if the ocean thingy would work). You could release the 1.15 version(stable) first and afterwards add the needed stuff for oceans etc.  And time, I believe, nobody has enough... :)  (me too)

Do you Yahoo!?